Warren Buffett has never written any book himself. At the same time legendary investor is voracious reader. He reads books, annual reports and newspapers every day. He insists that this activity compounds knowledge like nothing else. Throughout the years Warren Buffett recommended a lot of books in his interviews, annual reports and annual meetings. Here is the list of best books about investments, finance, economics, history and life recommended by chairman of Berkshire Hathaway.
Best Warren Buffett’s Biographies
- The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life Simply the best Warren Buffett’s biography — masterfully written and full of details about his business and life!
- Warren Buffett’s Ground Rules: Words of Wisdom from the Partnership Letters of the World’s Greatest Investor Collection and analysis of Warren Buffett’s famous annual letters to shareholders of Berkshire Hathaway.
- The Warren Buffett Portfolio: Mastering the Power of the Focus Investment Strategy Here you will find the best explanation of Warren Buffett’s investment strategy and its success.
Warren Buffett’s book recommendations
- Poor Charlie’s Almanack: The Wit and Wisdom of Charles T. Munger Beautifully illustrated biography of Charles Munger — vice-chairman of Berkshire Hathaway, famous investor and billionaire.
- The Outsiders: Eight Unconventional CEOs and Their Radically Rational Blueprint for Success Very interesting book about eight CEOs of public companies with phemonemal stock market performance.
- Where Are the Customers’ Yachts?: or A Good Hard Look at Wall Street This book was written more than 70 years nevertheless Buffett mentioned it many times as one of his favorite reads. Great humor and valuable insights are packed in this classic.
- Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of Nike Very good biography of Phil Knight.
- The Clash of the Cultures: Investment vs. Speculation Great book from late John Bogle — inventor of first index fund. Great wisdom for every serious investor.
- How to Win Friends & Influence People Carnegie course on public speaking helped Buffett many decades ago to overcome his shyness. Buffett repeatedly recommended this book.
- Bull!: A History of the Boom and Bust, 1982-2004 Very interesting book about dot-com bubble of 90s.
- The Smartest Guys in the Room: The Amazing Rise and Scandalous Fall of Enron Book about Enron scandal.
- Supermoney by Adam Smith Fantastic book about investments from american journalist George Goodman (his pseudonym was Adam Smith). Lots of humor and wisdom inside.
- The Most Important Thing: Uncommon Sense for the Thoughtful Investor Howard Marks is one of the best investors in distressed assets. Useful book for any investor.
- Business Adventures Twelve Classic Tales from the World of Wall Street Investment stories from John Brooks. Not only Buffett but also Bill Gates highly recommends this book.
- Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits Warren Buffett said that Philip Fisher influenced his investment style. Fisher was very successful investor in Silicon Valley stocks with annual compound returns north of 20% for many decades. This book is a real gem!
- Dream Big This is biography of the richest brazilian Jorge Paulo Lemann. His investment company 3G Capital partnered with Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway on some investments including Kraft Heinz.
- Sam Walton: Made In America This book was written by the founder of Wal-mart Sam Walton. Old-school wisdom for hardcore investors and entrepreneurs. By the way, Walton started Wal-mart when he was 44 years old!
- Personal History by Katharine Graham Katharine Graham was publisher and major shareholder of Washington Post. She received Pulitzer prize for this autobiography. By the way, Buffett was board member and his holding company was long time shareholder of Washington Post with great returns — investment multiplied more than 100x! Graham was a close friend of Buffett.
- The Ten Commandments for Business Failure Don Keough — former president of Coca-Cola and Buffet’s friend. Lots of useful advice for any manager can be found inside. By the way, Buffett made many billions on his investment in Coca-Cola stock.
- The Great Crash 1929 One of the best books about Great Depression from renowned economist John Kenneth Galbraith.
- Jack: Straight from the Gut Biography of Jack Welch — CEO of General Electric for 20 years. General Electric stock multiplied 52 times during his tenure.
- The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money Famous book from John Meynard Keynes — probably the most important economist of the 20th century. Keynes was successful value investor himself. He lost nearly all his fortune during 1929 market panic then got it all back.
- The Intelligent Investor Rev Ed.: The Definitive Book on Value Investing Buffett regards this book is the best one about investments ever written! Must-have for any investor. Benjamin Graham was teacher and first employer of Warren Buffett.